Motorcycle Ride: Bangalore to Thrissur

My intention is to have a motorcycle ride every month. It is one of my retirement plans. So, for me riding a motorcycle is more of a leisure than for everyday activity. All my life I worked, earned, saved, and waited for my retirement life to enjoy it, when I was healthy.

I bought the motorcycle to have occasional pleasure trips, not as a survival strategy in the high rocketing petrol prices and never-ending toll plaza roads. Fortunately, toll plazas are free for motorcycles (except two in Bangalore to my knowledge); some toll roads don’t allow motorcycles. Free toll roads for motorcycles are a good way to silence the public about the looting of an ordinary person’s money.

It was a planned trip from Bangalore to Thrissur. The 450 km ride was necessitated to take my motorcycle from Bangalore to Kerala. Though I was hesitant to drive on the Highways, not decided about my route to Kerala. There are multiple ways to reach Thrissur, beautiful scenic routes. The fastest route is the Highways, just like cars on the toll road. However, there are many alternative routes as well.

I thought of taking the Kanakapura-Chamrajanagar-Sathiyamaglam-Coimbatore route. However, the road widening work in the Kanakapura section discouraged me.

Another route, which I took recently, was a best alternative – Rayakottai-Palacode-Mechri (via Chinnampalli)-Bhavani. Here to, Hosur to Rayakottai widening work is going on. I considered strongly this route as there are fewer vehicles and goes through some remote rural villages. Also, I love the scenery from Palacode to Mecheri.

I started with the second choice in mind, at 620am from Hosa Road. Though chill Bangalore mornings are good for sleeping, I overcame the temptations. I was planning to take a right turn near Chandapura or after Attibele tollgate before Hosur to touch the Rayakottai road. 

There was heavy fog after Electronic City the visibility was just a few meters. I was not able to see the road, need to be very cautious not to hit the vehicles in front of me, and not to be hit by vehicles from back. It was very hard in the first 50kms.

So, I decided to take the Highways and the pleasure of seeing some rural places were sacrificed. I was keener on reaching home than having a pleasure ride. The only thing that came to my mind was to reach home before sunset. Since there was enough and more time on my hands, I was not driving in a hurry or at a neck-breaking speed. At a moderate speed of 80 to 100 km with enough breaks I travelled in the traditional Hosur-Krishnagiri- Thoppur-Mettur-Bhavani- Neelambur-Kuthiran and reached home around 330pm.

There is nothing extraordinary and noteworthy. Had few breaks here and there: after Krishnagiri, before Thoppur Ghats, Mettur Kaveri Bridge, One Cup Coffee shop in the Salem Coimbatore Highway, Kanniyur Toll Plaza. The Thoppur to Bhavani stretch had fewer vehicles and therefore enjoyable. Riding through the Kuthiran tunnel (without car a/c) and inhaling the toxic fumes of the vehicles was a new experience!!?? 
Overall, the travel was enjoyable.